Moving in to your property?

Moving in to your new property should be an exciting time. Read our tips on what to look out for to ensure your move is as stress free as possible.

Check your new property

Although your landlord will try and have your property ready on the first day of your contract- clean and in a good state of repair, this may not be possible if the previous tenants have only moved out the day before.

Take photos

Of any damage/ wear and tear. Inform your landlord immediately (in writing so you have a record) as well as by phone. Ask for a date by which the work should be completed, keep in touch and let your landlord know if the works are not done in time.

Utilities- setting up your accounts

Take meter readings of your gas, electricity and water meters immediately. Register with the relevant utility companies.

If you don’t know who supplies your gas and electricity, you can contact the companies below:

Transco (who supplies my gas?) 0870 608 1524

Meter Point Administration Service (Who supplies my electricity?) 0870 608 1524


Security can be a problem in student areas. Here are some tips on how to reduce the risks:

  • If there is a burglar alarm, find out how you can activate it
  • Always lock exterior doors and windows
  • Ensure your car is parked safely and is always locked
  • Take out insurance for your belongings

Change of Address Details

If you haven’t already, you will need to inform your change of address:

  • University, when you re-register at the start of term
  • Your bank
  • Your car insurance providers
  • Utility companies
  • The local council for Council Tax purposes

Still need help…?

Unipol are here to help.

If you would like some help or advice please contact us.

If your landlord is a member of the Unipol Code and you are experiencing any issues, we can help.

Find out what’s in the Code here. 

Laura Cryer, Code Complaints Investigator 0113 243 0169

Leave a reply

four × 3 =