Moved Out? Diddled Deposit?

Now that you have moved out of your student property, the time has come to think about your deposit – and how to get it back!

The basic rules in getting your deposit back are:

  • Leave your room and communal areas clean and tidy
  • Pay any outstanding bills
  • Make sure you have paid your rent fully.

So what happens if your landlord does deduct monies?

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), your landlord will have protected your deposit under one of the following schemes:

The links above will take you straight to the page where you can locate your deposit. Once you have found your deposit and logged in, you can dispute a charge via the scheme’s dispute resolution service. If you cannot find your deposit, have a look back through your emails, as you should have been sent one at the very beginning with your deposit ID. Otherwise, ask your landlord to give you the details.

If you are worried your landlord has not protected your deposit, you can contact Unipol and we can contact the landlord on your behalf. We can also contact your landlord if 28 days have passed and you still have not received your deposit (or a written explanation as to its whereabouts).

Like always, if you need any advice or have concerns about your deposit, feel free to get in touch with us and we will do our best to help you out.

Leave a reply